New York State residents and other eligible patrons may apply for free "Privilege Cards" allowing short term loans of books. Other services and resources that may be of interest are highlighted on our visitor page.
Privilege Card Eligibility
Mann Library provides a free privilege card for patrons meeting one of the following criteria:
- New York State resident with a valid driver's license
- Patrons affiliated with SUNY schools
- Alumni of CALS and Human Ecology
and are not a
- student at a private university or college or
- high school student (under 18)
- Mann Library privilege card holders may only charge books from the Statutory college libraries: Mann, Vet, Geneva, and ILR. The card is also honored at the Adelson Library at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
- The privilege card is good for one year and may be renewed.
- The regular loan period for Mann's privilege card holder is 4 weeks.
- Only regular books may be checked out. Borrowing privileges do not extend to journals, reserve items, laptops or other equipment, or media.
- Privilege cardholders are permitted to have 20 items on loan at one time.
- Privilege card holders may renew books as long as there are no blocks on their account or outstanding requests against the book.
- Privilege card holders cannot recall items from other patrons. They may place a hold on a desired item. See requesting items page for more details.
- This card does not accomodate the use of Interlibrary Services, allow access to restricted databases, or provide borrowing privileges at Cornell's Endowed libraries (such as Olin, Uris, etc.)
A Privilege card holder’s borrowing privileges will be blocked if the borrower:
- owes library fines of $150 or more
- fails to respond to one recall request
- has more than 15 overdue items
- has an expired account
Overdue Notices & Fines
Overdue notices are sent to the address provided on the application. For fine rates and billing information refer to the billing and fines page.
Acquiring a Privilege Card
To acquire a privilege card, apply in person at Mann Library's Circulation Desk (map it). You will be asked to fill out a short application form and present your NY State driver’s license as proof of residency (if applicable) or other government-issed photo ID.
The card will be made at the time of the request, as long as the authorized staff is available. In the event of their absence, your card will be made the next business day and mailed to the local address provided. You may also request that the card be held for you at the Circulation Desk should you not want it mailed.
For further information about privilege cards, or to request a renewal of a privilege card, please contact Mann Library Circulation at email@example.com (255-3296).
A printable copy of this policy is available as an MS Word document.