The Bloomberg system is a leading information service for global financial markets. At least 250,000 terminals are used by investment professionals around the world. Corporate recruiters at Cornell are seeking candidates with competitive technical and financial technology skills. Gain this competitive skill before your next job interview. And we can help you get started right here at Mann Library.
Access a Bloomberg Terminal
The Bloomberg station consists of three stand-alone computers at Mann Library. You can get started in many ways - visit the terminal and sign up to use it, attend a workshop, download a handout or ask for an individual consultation. For your convenience, handouts are also available next to the machine.
- At the terminal, either use the guest login (posted next to the machine) or follow the directions to Create a New Login and begin exploring the system.
- Visit the main menu by hitting the green “menu” button or typing “main” in the command line
- Visit the Bloomberg Help and Learning Page by entering the command BHL followed by the GO button.
Download the Bloomberg tutorial. The tutorial provides information on how to get started, using powerful Bloomberg HELP and customer service features, introduction to equity research, news and portfolio management functions.
Bloomberg Market Concepts
Use your own personal login to complete the training program (note: you will need a personal account to access and complete this program). Bloomberg Market Concepts is a short program that is designed to introduce users to different aspects of financial markets while displaying key commands within the Bloomberg Terminal. To get to Bloomberg Market Concepts, enter the command BMC and hit <Go>. Bloomberg permits all academic users to gain essential training on-line and there is no fee for this training program. The important features of this process are:
- A total of 4 training modules consisting of videos that cover key Economic Indicators, Currencies, Fixed Income and Equities.
- You can test your knowledge by taking exams that are built into the modules.
- Completing the program will give you a "certification". The videos can be rewatched many times, and the program can be completed at your own pace.
- You should budget for at least 6-8 hours to complete the entire Bloomberg Market Concepts program.