Welcome Back Cornellians—Wherever You Are!
Look at that! September is here, and Cornell classes for the fall 2020 semester are officially rolling. The Mann Library staff is really happy to be starting the 2020-21 academic year with all new and returning Cornellians, wherever you may be. After a busy summer getting ready for hybrid semester, we're pleased to announce all ways that we are here for you
via virtual research support and instruction, our book delivery and article/book chapter scanning services, and as quiet study space for all students registered for on-campus study. Here are the key things we'd like you to know:
For all general Cornell Library updates & info:
- Information about library services across campus is updated constantly on Cornell University Library's COVID-19 update page.
- Cornell University Library's Orientation page has lots of great info about library services for Cornell undergraduates, graduate students, and faculty this fall.
Getting books and articles:
- Mann has a robust paging system in place that allows us to retrieve books or scan articles for you. Check out our recent "Back to Library Basics" update to get the full skinny on how to make your request.
- In-person research and browsing in the Mann stacks is now also available to on-campus Cornellians. Faculty may swipe in; undergraduate and graduate students should make seat reservations via chatter.cornell.edu. For browsing hours and other important information about getting into the Mann stacks, please check out our "Back in the Stacks" update.
- We're currently unable to accommodate requests for in-person viewing of the rare books in Mann's special collections vault. However, for items that are not already available online at resources such as the Biodiversity Heritage Library Internet Archive, and Hathi Trust or via Cornell Library's own digital collections, we may be able to scan requested materials for you. Full information and access to the rich life science and human ecology digital collections created by Mann Library, see our special collections page.
- The Library's course reserves service has moved into an online, accessible environment to the fullest degree possible. Every effort is being made to make course reserves available for digital access by all students in a given class, while physical course reserves are available at Mann and Uris libraries if quiet study reservations are made via the chatter.cornell.edu system. For full details, see "Accessible Course Reserves for a Hybrid Semester."
Library spaces for quiet study:
Mann Library is now open for quiet study for all Cornell students who are registered for on-campus study. Study spots are available by reservation only, using chatter.cornell.edu. Hours of study space availability are: 8:00 a.m. through 10:00 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays, 8:00 a.m. through 6:00 p.m. Fridays, and 12:00 p.m. through 6:00 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays.
Research services & support:
- Our online workshops will continue to help students build all kinds of research & learning skills throughout the semester. The Library's workshop calendar shows what is being offered and how to sign up.
- CUL's "Ask a Librarian" service continues to be available 24/7, with Cornell librarians present online for a large part of that time.
- You can also jump right in to in-depth research help with Mann subject librarians too! Go to our "Disciplinary Research Support" page to connect with Mann librarians who can offer you some deep expertise.
- There is now remote access to specialized software (ArcGIS and Rhino), students will need to self-enroll. The library is also helping to facilitate remote access to Bloomberg and students should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request Bloomberg access.
Printing, coffee, & more:
- Cornell's new printing service, CU Print, is now up and running with full info available at bit.ly/CU-print. CU Print jobs can be picked up in the mannUfactory makerspace off the Mann lobby whenever Mann is open. Other CU Print pick up spots are Uris Library and RPCC.
- Last but never least, Manndible Café will be opening for grab & go service starting September 8th. For hours and other updates on that count be sure to visit the Manndible page.
- Our popular equipment loans are also now possible again! Includes cameras, projectors, GPS units & more. All may be requested for a one-week loan on our equipment reservation page. Laptop loans are available at Olin-Uris Libraries on their request page.