Microsoft Excel 2013: Building Macros
Macros in Excel enable you to automate repetitive tasks so that you can more easily do them again in the future. During this workshop, we will teach you how to record a macro and introduce you to the Visual Basic Editor for more advanced macro programming. You will leave with a greater awareness of when macros might be useful, hands on practice creating macros, and resources to continue your learning.
Poster Making and Printing
Learn best practices and useful resources for research poster design in this short interactive workshop! We will judge some existing posters, review basic design principles, and cover the resources for poster printing at Mann Library. This session covers general design tips. For hands on work on yourposter, please see the session on Oct. 23rd
Repositories, Authors' Rights, and Open Access
Navigating the current tension that exists between between scholarsÂ need to disseminate their works widely and the restrictions traditional scholarly publication can place on such dissemination is no easy matter. Luckily, many resources exist at Cornell and beyond to help both librarians and faculty make the right decisions, and to help the former advise the latter. This session will discuss not only the open access digital repositories available at Cornell, but also tools scholars can use to find and vet open access publishers, determine traditional publishersÂ policies on open access repositories, and negotiate the retention of rights that otherwise might be signed away to those publishers. Successful scholars disseminate their works both within the traditional publishing sphere and beyond it; this workshop provides the resources to achieve that success.
Poster Making and Printing Second Session
In this hands on session, work on your poster in PowerPoint and get feedback from other attendees. Attendance at the general design workshop on Oct. 21st or review of the guide at http://guides.library.cornell.edu/poster is encouraged but not mandatory.
Intro to QGIS
An introduction to QGIS, the premiere open-source desktop GIS application. Learn how to download and install the software, load data, make maps, and do basic analysis.
Microsoft Excel 2013: Pivot Tables
Sometimes it is difficult to analyze all of the information in your Microsoft Excel worksheet. PivotTables can help make your worksheets more manageable by summarizing data and allowing you to manipulate it in different ways. In this workshop, we will have hands-on practice using a pivot table to manipulate and summarize a dataset so that you will leave with a greater understanding of how and when to use this handy tool with your data.
Other Cornell Libraries,
For more Library events, see the CUL Events Calendar.
This is a list of the typical workshops that are offered at the Mann Library. If you do not see the workshop in the current list expect these workshops to be offered in the following semester. Check back at the beginning of the semester to reserve your spot.
- Citation Management- When it comes to software to manage your citations, There are quite a few programs out there. We offer workshops every semester on four of them: RefWorks, Endnote, Zotero, and Mendeley. Each citation management workshop is designed to demonstrate how to use the program, help you troubleshoot any issues you might be experiencing and get lots of hands-on practice.
- Bloomberg- What do at least 250,000 investment professionals around the world have in common? Understanding of the complex and sophisticated research finance tool known as Bloomberg. Give yourself a competitive advantage by learning the basics of how to navigate Bloomberg quickly and efficiently. Also, learn how you can give yourself an edge in your job search by completing the Bloomberg Essentials Training Program.
- Capital IQ- a powerful company data and finance research tool. From private company information, to mergers and acquisitions, it provides a tremendous amount of information with limited availability elsewhere. This workshop will introduce you to navigation and customization of the vast amounts of data and other information that can be found in Cap IQ.
- PubMed- A powerful research tool for researchers in the sciences. These workshops are designed to show you how to use PubMed, conduct basic and advanced searches, and discover how to use PubMed to store your searches. Although it is simple to use to the basic researcher, there are some advanced functions that require a bit of training. Attend these workshops to find out what you are missing.
- Data Management- The National Science Foundation (NSF) requires a data management plan with all grant applications, and growing numbers of funders and publishers have data sharing requirements. Data management is equally important for the individual researcher trying to document, organize and evaluate empirical information. This series of workshops cosponsored by Cornell’s Research Data Management Service Group include an introduction to data management plans, metadata to document data, and best practices for sharing and archiving research data. Consultations are also available by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Using Excel with Research Data- Microsoft Excel is a commonly used and powerful tool for entering, analyzing, and storing many types of research data. This series of workshops covers tips, tricks, and best practices for using Excel to work with your data. Taught at an intermediate user level, topics include formulas and functions, pivot tables, macros, and more.
- GIS- Geographic Information System allows you to visualize and interpret data visually. Each workshop demonstrates how to use a different program for GIS: Manifold GIS, or ArcGIS. By attending these workshops you can learn the basics of the GIS program, how to import data, and perform basic spatial analysis.
- Poster making and printing-Poster making and printing-Anyone can make a poster, but how do you make it an effective presentation tool and how do you print at Mann? Attend this workshop to learn more about the basic design process of effective poster making: layout, graphics, text, and more. Additional information is provided about Mann poster printing services via the Stone Computing Center.