Power Searching in PubMed
Do you use PubMed to find articles? Did you know that PubMed comprises more than 22 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books? Did you also know that PubMed has its very own search terminology? In this workshop, weÂll cover MeSH (Medical Subject Headings), how they help you do more powerful searching (and get better results), and practice searching PubMed for your topics. YouÂll leave with articles on your topic that you can use in your presentations and in your research.
Bring your own laptop to this session, or check one out at Mann Circulation. This class will be held in Mann 160.
Other Cornell Libraries,
For more Library events, see the CUL Events Calendar.
This is a list of the typical workshops that are offered at the Mann Library. If you do not see the workshop in the current list expect these workshops to be offered in the following semester. Check back at the beginning of the semester to reserve your spot.
- Citation Management- When it comes to software to manage your citations, There are quite a few programs out there. We offer workshops every semester on four of them: RefWorks, Endnote, Zotero, and Mendeley. Each citation management workshop is designed to demonstrate how to use the program, help you troubleshoot any issues you might be experiencing and get lots of hands-on practice.
- Bloomberg- What do at least 250,000 investment professionals around the world have in common? Understanding of the complex and sophisticated research finance tool known as Bloomberg. Give yourself a competitive advantage by learning the basics of how to navigate Bloomberg quickly and efficiently. Also, learn how you can give yourself an edge in your job search by completing the Bloomberg Essentials Training Program.
- Capital IQ- a powerful company data and finance research tool. From private company information, to mergers and acquisitions, it provides a tremendous amount of information with limited availability elsewhere. This workshop will introduce you to navigation and customization of the vast amounts of data and other information that can be found in Cap IQ.
- PubMed- A powerful research tool for researchers in the sciences. These workshops are designed to show you how to use PubMed, conduct basic and advanced searches, and discover how to use PubMed to store your searches. Although it is simple to use to the basic researcher, there are some advanced functions that require a bit of training. Attend these workshops to find out what you are missing.
- Data Management- The National Science Foundation (NSF) requires a data management plan with all grant applications, and growing numbers of funders and publishers have data sharing requirements. Data management is equally important for the individual researcher trying to document, organize and evaluate empirical information. This series of workshops cosponsored by Cornell’s Research Data Management Service Group include an introduction to data management plans, metadata to document data, and best practices for sharing and archiving research data. Consultations are also available by contacting email@example.com.
- Using Excel with Research Data- Microsoft Excel is a commonly used and powerful tool for entering, analyzing, and storing many types of research data. This series of workshops covers tips, tricks, and best practices for using Excel to work with your data. Taught at an intermediate user level, topics include formulas and functions, pivot tables, macros, and more.
- GIS- Geographic Information System allows you to visualize and interpret data visually. Each workshop demonstrates how to use a different program for GIS: Manifold GIS, or ArcGIS. By attending these workshops you can learn the basics of the GIS program, how to import data, and perform basic spatial analysis.
- Poster making and printing-Poster making and printing-Anyone can make a poster, but how do you make it an effective presentation tool and how do you print at Mann? Attend this workshop to learn more about the basic design process of effective poster making: layout, graphics, text, and more. Additional information is provided about Mann poster printing services via the Stone Computing Center.